Chippewa Lake Park was basically just abandoned with many of the rides still standing. The park was home to 3 roller coasters – A Wild Mouse, A steel kiddie coaster named the Little Dipper and a larger wooden coaster. The wood coaster was earlier named the Big Dipper but was referred to as just “Coaster” in the later years. The ride was built about 1924 or 1925 by Fred Pearce. It is amazing that a Tumble Bug is still there considering how rare this ride is (only three in the US and one in the UK).
There have been several locations listed for this park, usually as Cleveland. It is actually located at Chippewa Lake and is near the towns of Medina and Lodi, quite a bit Southwest of Cleveland. The park is due North of the juction of Interstate 71 and Interstate 76. In my opinion, it is possible that the park was not a Trolley Park but instead a Railroad Park, since the B&O Railroad runs directly behind the park. Joel Styer – Nov. 1998
Puritas Springs Park, Cleveland, Ohio
This article was written by Russell Allon Hehr and appears in The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.
In 1898, the first park on the west side of the city opened. Puritas Springs Park, overlooking the Rocky River valley, stood astride a deep ravine from which flowed the artesian well that gave the park its name. Puritas Springs was also a “trolley park,” served by the Cleveland and Southwestern interurban. Owner and manager John E. Gooding took his cue from Euclid Beach and offered free grounds admission. (Gooding, who lived with his family in a house on the park grounds, is credited with introducing the first horse-drawn and steam-powered carousels in Ohio. When [Cleveland’s] Luna Park closed in 1929, Gooding acquired its famous carousel of 72 hand-carved steeds and installed it at Puritas Springs.)While the carousel, dance hall, and roller rink were popular, the truly outstanding attraction was the Cyclone roller coaster. Careening in and out of the ravine, the Cyclone was higher and faster than any other coaster in the Cleveland area.
Puritas Springs drew west-siders for years. Still, its magnetism also began to fade after the war. In 1946, a fire destroyed the dance hall. In 1958, another fire forced the park to close. A residential neighborhood was developed on the Puritas Ave. site